Sunday, October 4, 2009

Strange people, these Christians

So, I went to a church today, willingly, for the first time in God knows how long.
Sure, part of it was that I had given my word to someone that I'd go, but I could have wormed myself out of it somehow. But I didn't feel inclined to. I woke up, refreshed, showered and headed to that place on Paredes.
And I told myself, at best, I'll gain a new understanding for how these people, who are ideologically different from me, interact.
At worst, I'd still gain a new understanding for how people who are ideologically different from me, interacted.
So I left my prejudices at the door and went in.
And overall, I liked it.
(Now, my Catholic brethren reading this, don't panic, I have no intentions of ever leaving the Church. ... Not that it should matter, anyways, I'm a progressive catholic with universalistic humanist tendencies--but that's a story for another day)
What I liked the most about the service was that people prayed.
Like, not running around screaming and crying like a small, small part of me would have thought they did, but praying. Interacting with the pastor, singing, praying.
It wasn't the mechanical lip service some of us are guilty of in our proper Catholic churches, at least the ones I've been around recently.
In either case, it was a pleasant experience. I foresee I'll have some political differences with them in the long run, but for now, I'm glad my first time there was a good experience.


And on that note, a funny thing I should mention was that the parable discussed in the service was about The Prodigal son :o

-eagleheart

No comments:

Post a Comment