Saturday, February 13, 2010

Murals, Parking, Smoking, oh my!

Seeing as how this will be a regularly updated blog, I intend to use bits and pieces from The Collegian, my alma mater's hard-hitting newspaper in a weekly news update on campus. Why? I still care about the campus, and I think the internet should be exposed to the great and...sometimes not-so-great things that the fairest of South Texas does.

ON TO THE MEAT!

Lots of interesting little pieces in this week's Collegian.

: happy dance :




"UTB/TSC Provost Alan Artibise said the New Library mural project is on hold “indefinitely.”

Asked why the mural was on hold, Artibise replied because of the community’s reaction.
“In terms of this economic time, we just didn’t think it was appropriate to--even though we had the funding set aside from the bond project--to be seen to be spending it on that,” he said. “I have no doubt that ultimately it will be put up.”

Damn right it wasn't appropriate. Six hundred thousand dollars for a couple of splashes of paint on the wall? I think I speak for the rest of the community when I ask: WHAT THE FARK WAS THE TSC BOARD THINKING?

I'm glad people spoke up. Here's hoping that the funds will be used for something constructive...maybe add another project to the construction laundry list? I hear it's the thing to do.

Don't get me wrong, though. I love the expansionist mood the university's in. Even as my last semester was ending, my heart swelled with pride every time I drove by the Arts Center or the REK Center. And the thought of more things being added just makes me all giddy. I hope they keep up the good work and don't get sidetracked with silly murals. As it is, we're already better than that other university in Edinburg.

As to whether or not there should be more parking? Eh. Who cares, really? I attended UTB/TSC for three and a half years, and every semester was the same old song and dance when it came to parking.

1st-3rd week: Parking lots at 199% full. People parking on grass and/or at the river levee.
4-6th week: Parking lots 90% full. Students tentatively carry on with their semester.
7th week: Students: "Oh. We actually have to show up for class? Fuck it." More spaces free up.
Midterms week: Students: "Eh, what the hell, let's just take the midterms for the lulz." Parking lots at 80%.
Post-deadline to withdraw with a W (March 31): Parking lots at 30% on good days, 40% on normal days.
Finals week: In a stats-skewing turn of events, parking lots fill back up to 90% as students hope against hope that a good final grade will make up a month's worth of absences.

All that said, I have two gripes with this parking scenario.

1. Griping about parking

Look. Walking is NOT bad. It's healthy. It's comfortable. It gives you an extra minute or two to think up an excuse explaining your tardiness. People will go to great lengths and the occasional, legally questionable driving maneuver just to find a space "close" to their class. What they don't realize is that the guy who parked "far away" and walked rather than wait for someone to leave their class precisely 15 minutes earlier, got to his class first.

Leave your house earlier. Five minutes of sleep mean NOTHING. Eat lunch faster. Don't go for a "quick snack at McDonald's/Pizza Hut/UMix/Subway/Subway in front of Porter/Burger King" because you and 500 other students are thinking the SAME thing.

2. Parking Citation Officers
I have no problem with Campus Police officers. They do their job as best they can and are professional about it. The people working for them, giving the citations and selling the permits? Not so much.
The only bitching about parking I will tolerate is when said bitching involves the unprofessional attitudes of the people charging students, faculty and staff for their tickets. Because that is a legitimate complaint. Between having my teeth pulled by a drunk dentist and rusty pliers and dealing with the parking people, I'll take the drunk dentist. Without anesthesia.

The little things build up: Clocking out at from 11 a.m. to noon even though you're supposed to work from 9-5, clocking out at 4:45 p.m. even though there's a long line of students who just barely got out of class, and just the way they treat you, overall. It's as if selling you a parking ticket physically hurts them and your mere presence is offensive to their sight. If you have any such stories, feel free to tell me about them and I just might feature them here :p

And finally...smoking.
The Collegian reports that "University officials plan to implement a “tobacco-free campus” policy that is expected to take effect by Sept. 1."

The only thing I have to say about that is that it's easier trying to tell the sun not to set in the evening.

This concludes this week's update on the Eagleheart's blog. Until next update!


-Eagleheart


1 comment:

  1. Haha. This is funny. You should do this more often.

    But ... you had loads to say about parking and two sentences for smoking? lol

    ReplyDelete