Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Risk Variations

So, I bought Risk recently. And...despite only playing it once, I decided that this is the most EPIC BOARD GAME EVER.
Ever.
So a few days ago I drafted the instructions for the new version (which only has two types of units) which I've called Risk: World Eater.
Yeah, I like WH40K.

Anyways, since I tweaked some rules in the new Risk game (placing a city in Ontario instead of a city in Central America aka let's NOT give Mexico its own territory even though it's like four times the size of the other countries in Central America combined? C'mon. ) in order to make it more playable, I decided to look up other such variations.

One of these is the following:

Risk: Nuclear War
At the beginning of the game, before players have set their pieces, shuffle the deck of countries and remove 4 territory cards. Now place a marker [maybe a penny] on each of those four territories. Those four territories are now nuclear wastelands. No troops can be drawn from there and the terrain is impassible. People can still control continents, though.
This adds an interesting take on the game, particularly if certain territories like Central America or the Australias are destroyed in a nuclear war.


So after I read that and some other interesting variations*1 got to thinking...how COOL*2 it could be to add a d20 (20-sided die) to the game? A die that's rolled at the beginning of every turn and could help, hinder, or downright fuck with someone's turn or plans.

So, for those of you Risk players that happen to have D20s lying around, here's my very own variation:

Risk: World Eater - Global Conflict

Play is normal. After the third full turn, a D20 comes into play. The roll of the 20-sided die precedes the drafting period. For those playing the old risk board (where a soldier = 1 troop, cavalry = 5, artillery = 10), whenever I mention "three" troops in my variations, the equivalent will be cavalry.

1 – “Voluntary Enlistment”
Remove one unit from the units you draft this turn.
2 – “Recruitment Drive”
Add one unit to the units you draft this turn.
3 – “Draft Dodgers”
Remove three units from the units you draft this turn.
4 – “Patriotic Zeal”
Add three units to the units drafted this turn.
5 – “Swine Flu”
Remove one troop from every territory the player controls in North America.
6 – “Give me your tired, your poor…”
Add one troop to every territory the player controls in North America.
7-“Black Death”
Remove one troop from every territory the player controls in Europe.
8 – “The Renaissance”
Add one troop to every territory the player controls in Europe.
9 – “9/11”
Remove the city from Eastern United States for the duration of the game. If city is already destroyed, remove three troops.
10 – “Missile Defense”
Grants player immunity from any D20 attack, useable at will. [Suggestion: To write it down on a piece of paper that is discarded after use.]
11 – “The Bush Administration”
Remove the city from the Middle East for the duration of the game. If city is already destroyed, remove three troops.
12 – “World Cup Fever”
Add one troop to every territory the player controls in South America.
13 – “Tibia”
Remove one troop from every territory the player controls in South America.
14 – “Blood Diamonds”
Add one troop to every territory the player controls in Africa.
15 – “The Middle Passage”
Remove one troop from every territory the player controls in Africa.
16 – “The Silk Road”
Add one troop to every territory the player controls in Asia.
17 – “The Mongol Horde”
Remove one troop from every territory player controls in Asia.
18 – “Fifth Column”
When attacking a territory in this turn, the player removes one troop from the territory he is attacking and adds one troop to his attacking country.
[i.e., Player 1 rolls a 18. His southern Europe with 4 troops attacks Player 2’s Western Europe with three troops. Player 1 employs Fifth Column and the rule is now 5 troops attacking 2 troops.]
19 – “Captain Trips”
Player loses one troop from every territory under his control.
20 – “The Internationale”
Player adds one troop to every territory under his control.

So, there you have it. Feel free to employ it in your own time and have fun with it. If anyone asks, direct them over here. As I develop this further, I plan to add more things.
For example, when I get back from my trip and I try out Risk: World Eater - Global Conflict, I'm going to develop "Risk: World Eater - Gods and Generals" which I might or might not combine with another d20 (or maybe a d4, d8, or d12) to create an epic game of Risk.

Enjoy!

*1 - Some variations include a NPC "zombie army" which I thought was infinitely awesome. I need to do some more research on this in order to be able to grasp how to play it. Shouldn't be so difficult.
*2 - To me, things like this are cool. I hope that my excitement for them makes others turn to them and see THEM as cool, too. I make no promises, though. But, give it a shot :D


No comments:

Post a Comment